Alcohol and Wild Animals When ripe or overripe fruits rot or ferment, the natural sugars in the fruit turn to alcohol. Animals may and do become inebriated. The most famous example is when Native Americans would drink alcoholic beverages made from corn. Other animals that drink alcohol include monkeys, apes, and lemmings.
The majority of these stories involve native Americans drinking corn beer, which contains about 8 percent alcohol by volume. Other animals have been known to drink wine, whiskey, or other more potent alcohols. There are several examples of animals being given liquor to play with or as a gift, but many of them end up getting too drunk to be able-bodied.
Animals that Drink Alcohol for Fun or As Medicine
There are several instances of animals drinking alcohol for fun or as medicine. In some cases, they might not realize how drunk they are. Others might eat something poisonous while intoxicated.
Dogs that Drink Wine By themselves or With Their Masters
In Europe, there are several stories about dogs that drink wine by themselves or with their masters. Sometimes the dog becomes ill and needs to be taken to a vet. While being treated, the dog consumes more wine until it passes out.
There has been a lot of study done where real blood alcohol levels are measured and behavior is examined to see how alcohol affects different animals. The smaller the animal (and, in particular, the liver), the more probable it is to become compromised after consuming fermented fruit. Mammals tend to be less affected by the toxic effects of alcohol than birds or fish. However, many mammals do show signs of intoxication including dogs, cats, monkeys, and humans.
Alcohol affects most animals differently depending on their size, body type, and type of drinker. For example, mice can metabolize large amounts of alcohol in their bodies quickly and so would likely experience significant effects from a small amount consumed over a short period of time. Cats, on the other hand, have lower metabolic rates than mice and so would require a larger amount of alcohol to reach a similar level in their systems. Even within species there can be considerable variation between individuals. For example, some dogs that consume a great deal of alcohol may not show any signs of being intoxicated while others who drink only a little may behave erratically or even fall asleep behind the wheel.
In general, animals that are predisposed to alcohol poisoning should not be given alcoholic drinks. These include horses, elephants, and camels which have very sensitive tracheas-bronchial tubes that can be damaged by alcohol vapor or liquid.
5 Animals That Get High Or Drunk
Unripe fruits have no ethanol, ripe hanging fruits have 0.6 percent, ripe falling fruits have 0.9 percent, and over-ripe fallen fruits have 4.5 percent ethanol (by weight). One, primates prefer ripe fruits over rotten fruits, and the alcohol level of ripe fruits is so little that it is insufficient to get them "drunk." Two, bacteria in the soil convert some of the sugar in rotting fruits into alcohol.
However, because bacteria are present in the soil, this process can also happen if a person eats rotten food. The amount of alcohol that results from this process is very small unless you eat a lot of rotten meat or drink contaminated water. Then you might become sick or even die.
The main problem with this method is that it requires eating some form of animal waste. This means eating animal feces or urine, which many people do not want to do. Rotten fruits also contain a lot of bacteria, and some people may not be able to digest certain types of bacteria in their body.
Finally, this process does not work for all types of fruits. For example, grapes do not make alcohol when they rot. They remain solid even after melting ice cubes on them.
Overall, this method is dangerous for animals and people. It can cause animals to eat poisonous berries and people to drink contaminated water or eat tainted meat. This method should never be done!
Birds who overeat ripe but not overripe berries may look inebriated, but this is due to their crops being too full, which puts them off balance. They can't get drunk like people can because they don't have any alcohol in their systems.
Berries are very nutritious and provide essential vitamins for humans and other animals. Birds that eat a lot of them can cause problems for people who want their property kept clean of pests, but that's about it. If you want your bird to be able to enjoy some berry-flavored treats, just make sure they aren't eating too many at once!
Most animal intoxications are most likely unintentional, the consequence of the animals ingesting overripe, fermenting fruit. Apples are frequently implicated in numerous cases of animal intoxication. After consuming one too many apples off the ground, deer scavenging in orchards are sometimes spotted stumbling around or seeming very tired. Of all the fruits grown in the United States, apples are the most toxic to humans when eaten in their natural state. The toxin is called acetyl-cysteine and it's present in all apples. It can cause abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting if humans eat enough apples to be harmful.
In addition to deer, other animals that have been reported intoxicated by apples include: dogs, cats, cows, pigs, and birds. According to research conducted at the University of California, Berkeley, people who eat raw apples experience the same symptoms as animals that have consumed raw apples: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Although there have been reports of children eating apples that have fallen into a pond or lake being intoxicated by the apple juice, this appears to be rare.
The best way to avoid getting sick from eating apples is not to eat any apples you find on the ground. Also, don't eat apples that look rotten or moldy. Even if an apple looks harmless, smell it first to make sure it isn't spoiled. Finally, don't try to use raw apples as bait for fishing or hunting purposes - it won't work!